Experience the cultural richness of Taytay, Palawan as we celebrate the Annual Pasinggatan Festival 2023 and the 400 Years Founding Anniversary of the Civil Government. Join us in the Drum and Lyre Competition and witness the vibrant performances of talented junior and senior high school students. Be captivated by the precision, harmony, and creativity of the drum and lyre corps and majorette corps as they showcase their skills and artistry. Don’t miss this chance to immerse yourself in the festive spirit and cultural heritage of Taytay, Palawan.
to be posted soon.
Prizes at stake
|Best in Costume||P 5,000.00|
|Best in Musicality||P 5,000.00|
|Best in Production Design||P 5,000.00|
|Consolation Prizes||P 20,000.00|
We are excited to announce the highly-anticipated Pasinggatan Festival 2023 – Drum and Lyre Competition, which promises to be a show-stopping event!
Unfortunately, we have received a limited number of participating high schools in the Municipality, which has prompted us to make a decision. The Executive Committee on Drum and Lyre Competition has decided to open the competition to all interested high school drum and lyre corps in the province of Palawan.
We would like to extend our invitation to all interested high school drum and lyre corps in the province to join the competition. This event is one of the highlights of the Pasinggatan Festival 2023, which commemorates the 400th founding anniversary of the Civil Government of Taytay, Palawan.
We want to make this competition an experience to remember. We are committed to providing a total performance package that you will enjoy and love. To ensure the quality of the competition, we will only accommodate up to 15 contenders. So, don’t miss this opportunity to showcase your talent and join us in this momentous celebration.
For those interested, please contact Mr. Jayson G. Cayao at 0977-157-6473. We can’t wait to see you in action!
Competition Mechanics and Guidelines
- The competition is open to all public and private high schools (Junior and Senior High) within the Province of Palawan.
- Participating teams/schools must submit a duly accomplished application form. Application forms are available at KALAHI-CIDDS Office. The deadline for the submission of application forms is on Friday, April 19, 2023, 5 PM, Executive Conference Room. The following documents must be submitted together with the application form:
- List of band members
- Certification from the School Principal (that the members are bona fide students of their school)
- Parent Consent/Waiver
Drum and Lyre Members / Team Composition
- The drum and lyre corps must be composed of a minimum of 30 and a maximum of 80 members, including instrumentalists, percussionists, majorettes, and Flags bearers/color guards who are bona fide students with certification from their coach and school principal.
Instruments and Props
- Mechanical instruments, electronics, or motor engines are NOT ALLOWED. Only batons and flags and other props such as pompoms, banners, etc. are allowed to be used. Ten (10) points will be deducted from the total points of the team violating this particular guideline.
- Participating teams/schools are allowed to use back drop (any size) as long as movable (as props)
- For lighting effects, only battery-operated light fixtures that are safe to use are allowed.
- For safety purposes, open flame devices, fireworks, or other forms of pyrotechnics, fuel-fired torches, candles, or similar devices are not permitted. Ten (10) points will be deducted from the total points of the team violating this particular guideline.
- The performance of the Drum and Lyre Corp must include two (2) musical pieces: the Taytay Municipal Hymn and the Pasinggatan Jingle. The team is allowed to add any musical piece (remix, pop and etc.) to complete their performance..
- It should be played within the allotted time of 15 Minutes excluding the entrance and exit. Additional Two (2) minutes is given for clearing of area/props, etc. upon exiting or end of the performance. Failure to clear or clean the area after the allotted time will be penalized for a Five (5) points deduction from the total score. Time starts at the courtesy salute of the conductor and also ends with a salute.
- The Drum & Lyre Group and the Majorette Corps shall be judged as one competing unit. 60% of the aggregate score of the Drum & Lyre Group and 30% of the aggregate score of the Majorette Corps and the remaining 10% which is PUNCTUALITY will be rated by the committee based on the arrival of the competitors in the parade and performance assembly area (on May 1 Grand Parade and 2, 2023, FINAL COMPETITION).
- The winning TAYTAY team will be participating in Barangatan Festival Grand parade and Provincial meet together with the employees of the Municipal Government of Taytay.
- The winners shall be determined based on the ranking from the judges’ rating. In case of a tie, the appointed Chairman of the Board of Judges will have to break it.
- No deduction shall be made for the dropping of baton.
- Judging and time count shall commence from the start of the first beat, excluding entry into the performance area. All performances shall not be less than 10 minutes and not exceed 15 minutes. Ten points shall be deducted from the total score if the duration of the performance is not within the time limit.
- No coach, school head, or school coordinator shall be allowed to go near the judges.
- There will be two (2) performance areas
a. In front of Taytay Public Market (Full set of Pasinggatan Jingle Music Only)
b. Kuta Grounds (Full Performance)
- The judges’ decisions shall be final and non – appealable
- Any concerns should be placed in writing and addressed to the Organizing Committee.
- Final briefing of all coordinators or representatives will be set by the committee.
- Contingents from outside Taytay, Palawan must be in the locality one (1) day prior to Grand Parade Day and shall be accommodated at designated quarters. The rehearsal schedules shall be discussed with the committee. Food and transportation (service vehicle) to and around Taytay will be on the account of the respective contingents. The committee will assign a focal person per contingent with the responsibility of providing updates and over-all concerns of that specific team to the Committee. Security will also be provided at the housing area/quarters.
Criteria For Judging
Criteria for Judging is as follows:
DRUM AND LYRE (60%)
• Master Piece (Precision of attacks and release, rhythm and tempo) – 30%
• Total Quality (Clarity and harmony) – 25%
• Interpretation (Technique, style and choreography) – 25%
• General Impact (Smartness in uniform and deportment) – 20%
MAJORETTE CORPS (30%)
• Baton Twirling – 35%
• Style and Interpretation 30%
• Choreography – 20%
• General Impact – 15%
- Entries of the “PASINGGATAN FESTIVAL DRUM AND LYRE COMPETITION” are required to participate in the Grand Parade of Pasinggatan Festival 2023 on May 1, 2023 as part of punctuality.
- All competitors must report to their designated starting area at San Jose Rotunda at So Montevista, Poblacion Taytay, Palawan before 2:00pm on May 1, 2023 during the GRAND PARADE and before 6:00AM on May 2, 2023 during the final competition for “PASINGGATAN FESTIVAL DRUM AND LYRE COMPETITION” in order to receive instructions and line order. Failure to arrive at the given “CALL TIME” five (5) points will be deducted from the total points of the team violating this particular guideline.
Updated as of April 19, 2023